Saturday 7 December 2013

I don’t see competition –Akinsete



Oluwadamilola Akinsete
Oluwadamilola Akinsete, Chief Executive Officer, Home Inspirations, trained as an accountant. Now an interior decor designer, she explains her passion for decoration
How come an accountant is into interior decorations?
There is no law that stipulates that everybody must practise what they read. I read accounting but I never worked in an office.  My degree has not gone to waste because even as an entrepreneur, my accounting background always comes to play in almost everything I do. This business is also a business of figures. If your account is not tidy, then you are in trouble. At the end of the day, I am glad I read accounting.

How did you find yourself on the terrain?
I did not stumble into it. I think it’s inborn; it’s a craft I acquired naturally and I have always been into interior decoration. For me, it started right after school. That was after I left the University of Ife. I started nearly 20 years ago and I started with curtains. I fell in love with how beautiful it always came out, the creative process challenges and inspires you to do more. When you realise that you possess a talent like this and you do a simple job which comes out not looking simple anymore, the clients are really happy with what you have come up with. This helps you to know that you are on the right track. Before I started, I won’t really say I knew I had it in me. I only discovered when I started getting feedback from clients and saw that I could make a decent living out of it.
At inception, what were some of the challenges you encountered?
The challenges don’t start and stop with the first few years of the business. Till date, there are challenges and it is what I am sure every entrepreneur faces in Nigeria. We have the power supply issue which has been on for a very long time. We also have a system where you can’t get loans at affordable interest rates. Also, there is the Nigerian mentality of things not getting done on time. It’s so critical that when you recruit new staff, you have to organise a training to get rid of that mentality and bring them up to your standard especially if you want to deliver and at the same time, be punctual in all you do.
What capital did you tee-off with?
No capital and that is where my accounting background proves to be a lot of help. After costing a job, you give your client a quotation, work towards getting a mobilisation fee that can execute the job and then use most of the money given to carry out the job. That is how to grow. Reflecting on the past, I remember my parents loaned me some money when I was about opening my first showroom in Ikeja.
Were you discouraged from becoming an entrepreneur?
No, I was not. Besides, I am a determined person. I was quite sure of what I had ventured into and there was no looking or going back. When you love something, you don’t easily give up on it. Even when discouragement comes to mind, you push it away and forge ahead. The worst thing an entrepreneur or intending one can do to his or she is to allow negative thoughts overwhelm them.
What is it about your background that influenced you?
My parents were very strict and disciplined. They believe your word should be your bond and if you are doing something, do it well. One way or the other, you don’t realise that you have imbibed those values and you grow up to realise you cherish attributes like punctuality and reliability.
Where did you your business name spring from?
My main passion till date is homes and how to make it look the way it should look. I just thought that I can inspire you regarding your home. It has to be the first and last place to shop for your home.
Almost 20 years in operation, what would you attribute your staying power to?
It just has to be God. There is no other power apart from that and I can credit it to my ingenuity because that also is from God. You can see we are just about opening our flagship showroom. We used to have one at Ikeja and another at Ikoyi. We decided to collapse all into one.
Apart from your training in accounting, did you also get any training in the interior designs?
Yes, you get trainings as you go along. You learn on the job, travel, and participate in exhibitions and shows. It is imperative that you learn as you grow. In my opinion, the best training remains that which you get on the job. Till date, I am very involved in the running of this business and I am not a dormant boss. Most times, I have a one-on-one relationship with my clients and get to know their likes and dislikes. Even if my staff go to work somewhere, I have to see what they have done and so my personal touch is always there.
Entrepreneurs believe staff are the bane of any business…
It is an issue and I think it is a general reflection of the Nigerian society. Mediocrity is the norm and people don’t want to do things and do them excellently. When you recruit staff, you have to work on their mindset and give them a new orientation. That is a herculean task. While some are able to catch up, others are still lagging behind.
Are there times you feel like quitting?
I am sure everybody feels like quitting at one time or the other but you just keep on keeping on. Winners don’t quit and quitters don’t win.
What are success tips for entrepreneurs?
The first thing is God. You must also have integrity, good service delivery, customer relations and make sure you have good products for your clients to get their money’s worth. You also need to be disciplined in whatever you do.
It’s a competitive industry…
I don’t see competition at all
Most people still don’t know how to set up a home. Can you advice?
There are a few essential things I will reel out. Comfortable furniture is very important, nice  curtains or blinds, nice lighting—not too harsh but soft in order not to get eyes irritated. The environment has to be nice and kept clean at all times.
How do you unwind?
I like to sleep because I don’t seem to get enough of that. Therefore, when I get any opportunity to relax, I turn to sleep.
How have you struck a balance between your home and business?
Organisation is key and I ensure everything is in place. If you plan your day very well and barring any unforeseen circumstance, everything will fall into place. This way, one part of your life won’t thrive at the detriment of the other.
What will be your definition of style?
To me, style means comfort and timeless elegance. So, I practise what I preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment