Thursday 26 December 2013

You’re members of my family, Jonathan tells Nigerians

 
Internet Punch illustration
President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday said he regarded all Nigerians as members of his family, irrespective of religious or ethnic affiliations.
In a Christmas message to his numerous fans on Facebook, the President claimed he had put everything in place for every citizen to celebrate Yuletide with “minimum comfort.”
Jonathan said he had been doing everything possible to ensure that “every Nigerian has enough to eat at all times.”
The President’s message read in part, “Christmas is a time of joyous family gatherings and as President, I see every Nigerian as a member of my family and I urge us all to retain the unique sense of brotherly love that this season evokes beyond the Yuletide.
“While we will surely mark this holiday in our different ways and according to our established traditions, it is my desire that we all celebrate Christmas with some minimum comforts and my team and I have long prepared for this by working to improve our infrastructure, especially those that most serve us during this season.
“These steps have been undertaken because of my belief that every good and great thing is possible in our country if we desire to achieve it.”
But some people have waved aside the President’s claim that his team had ensured that basic services needed by the citizenry to enjoy the Yuletide was already in place.
Several complaints on the President’s Facebook wall claimed that many Nigerians were celebrating Christmas in darkness.

Commenting on Jonathan’s Facebook wall, Vince Emeribe, wrote that the President goofed when he said that Nigerians were celebrating Christmas in comfort.
“Merry Christmas to you and your family, Mr. President! Please put more effort in managing the affairs of the country! As I am writing this, my area has not enjoyed electricity for about two weeks! I am celebrating Christmas in darkness. This is not good enough!” Emeribe stated.
Another respondent, Uzukwu Patrick-Eze, said it would amount to sycophancy if he agrees with Jonathan on his claims of a better life for the citizenry.
“I am writing this comment with my generator thundering noisily. As I celebrate this Christmas in the comfort of my house, over 70 per cent of Nigerians are not sure where their next day meal will come from,” Patrick-Eze said.
However, some visitors to the Facebook page of the President said the inability of some people to celebrate Christmas in comfort was due to corruption.
According to them, the Jonathan administration’s efforts has not in any way translated into the amelioration of the suffering of the ordinary Nigerian on the streets.
Examining the development, Taiwo Fagbemi asked, “Although this is the season of goodwill to all men, can we really say that the majority of the people are happy about the present situation in the country? The Federal Government has not been able to tackle the issue of corruption, which has retarded the much needed development of the country. The government needs to be a government in action not in words.”
Harrison Ejueyitsi-Aletile urged the President to check the rising incidence of corruption in the polity. He wrote, “There are millions of people today who cannot celebrate Christmas because of the hardship caused by politicians and government officials who divert public funds to their own pockets. Corruption is on the rise.
“No one is punished. Madam Oduah (Aviation Minister) is still there in your cabinet. How can the Christmas be merry? Even on Christmas day there is no light in my house. I know all this shall come to an end one day. I salute you my president.”
Paul Oduye expressed his disappointment with the President’s account of stewardship, as posted on the latter’s Facebook page, adding that he was compelled by the mood of the Yuletide to wish the President a “Merry Christmas.”
“Thank you Mr. President. In spite of my beef with you and disappointment with your stewardship; I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas in the spirit of the season of goodwill to all mankind,” Oduye wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment