Sunday 17 November 2013

I can’t wear bikini — Kemi Afolabi

Kemi Afolabi
Background
My name is Oluwakemisola Afolabi-Adesipe.  I’m an actress. I hail from Ogun State but I was born and bred in Lagos. I’m the first in a family of three. I had my primary and post primary education in Lagos. I’m a law graduate from the University of Lagos.

Growing up
We were neither poor nor wealthy. I am from an average family. We grew up with a very strict father but I have always been mommy’s pet.

Studying law
My parents did not influence my choice of law as a career. I have always wanted to be a lawyer.  When I gained admission into the University of Lagos, I was given the opportunity to study English.  I studied   English for a year but I still went back to write Joint Admissions Matriculations Board exams, making sure that I obtained   the cut-off mark for law. I was not called to the bar.  I could not create time from my acting job for that.

Journey into acting
Somebody introduced me to acting in my final year as a law student.  I had gone to relax in the student pavilion when this guy walked up to me and told me that he had a drama project and he wanted a new face to feature in it. I declined but he persisted. When I told my parents about it, my father did not think it was a good idea but my mother said there was nothing wrong with it.  The first script I got was written in Yoruba and I could not even pronounce some words very well.  But they encouraged me because I had potential.  I have done over 50 movies so far.


Movie industry
The industry has grown compared to what obtained in the past. There are improvements in technical quality and quality of script. I entered the movie scene in 2004. But I had a break in between when I got married and relocated to the United Kingdom in 2008. I have a beautiful four year-old daughter.

Marriage
I met my husband at a family function. I was not popular as an actor then. When he saw me, he felt my face was familiar. He did not know that I was an actress.  We were friends for a while before we got married. The admiration grew gradually. He is an engineer based in England.  At present, I shuttle between Nigeria and England. There is no distance between us. He knows I am working. If he needs to see me, he will come over. If I need to see him, I will go over there.

Between English and Yoruba movie genre
I have never thought of switching to the English movie genre. The Yoruba movie genre is where I gained my first entrance. It is very rich in culture and you have a lot to learn from the movies. If the English movie producers call me, of course I would work with them. I have done a few soap operas in the past.

Fame
Sometimes I don’t even remember that I am an actress. I just want to be free. It is not easy nowadays because when I go out people recognise me and I cannot do all the things I did in the past.

Scandals
I have never been involved in scandals. My career has been scandal-free. On the story of fighting with a fellow artiste over a man, I have never come across that story. To tell you the truth, I just finished shooting a movie with the lady in question. People just go on the blogs and write things without corroborating the stories.  I am not a controversial actress.

Typical day in my life
I have my schedule but most times I’m at work.

Happy moments
The happiest moment of my life was when I gave birth to my daughter. Also, I am happy at the thought of the husband and family that I have.

Style
For me, style means comfort and I am not a designer freak. I would never wear a bikini now. I would have worn that before I had my baby. But I am a mother now and I cannot wear bikini.

Fashion
I love wristwatch.  I don’t wear jewellery except when I am working.

Social disposition
Most people think I am a snob. I have learnt to keep to myself because I realise I cannot be everybody’s friend. When I do that, people conclude that I am a snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment