Sunday 22 December 2013

I have no regret dumping Italy for Nigeria — Ukah

 
Ugo Ukah
Poland-based defender, Ugo Ukah, has been excluded from the national team after just one game for the Super Eagles. In this interview, the 29-year-old, who holds Italian citizenship, tells ’TANA AIYEJINA that he has no regrets committing his international future to Nigeria
 You were born in Italy to Nigerian parents but you chose to represent Nigeria internationally. How did you feel making your debut in 2011 against Zambia in a friendly game in Kaduna?
It has always been a great feeling and pleasure to wear the green and white jersey of Nigeria. I love Nigeria as a country. Even though I was not born in Nigeria, my dad resides there and he always updates me on life and other things about the country. Apart from that, I was a fan of the Super Eagles ever since I knew what football was all about. I was privileged to watch the Eagles at the 1994 World Cup, which incidentally, was their first appearance and ever since, I have had the passion to play for the team. Playing for Nigeria means a lot to me; it means I am a legitimate citizen of Nigeria and it also shows that I am patriotic. My dad was very happy with my decision. Before my arrival in Nigeria for my first cap, I had already spoken with him and the family in the United Kingdom and they were so happy to see me fulfilling my childhood dream. It’s a nice feeling and I am ready to do more.


What was the motivation behind your decision to play for Nigeria when you also had the option of playing for Italy?
My father instilled in me the passion to play for Nigeria. Whenever he came down to the UK, where some members of my family are based, he always told me that he would like to see me play for Nigeria. My father is much engrossed in Nigeria sports. So I started dreaming of playing for the Eagles and I began to monitor the likes of Ben Iroha, Uche Okechukwu, Stephen Keshi and Austin Eguavoen. It’s  been long since I knew Keshi and Eguavoen would coach Nigeria. Any player that shows passion and aggression on the pitch, instructing his teammates, such a person is already preparing for a coaching job. Italy was never a first option, Nigeria was. Though there was a debate that I would achieve more with the Italian national team because of my physique but my undying love for Nigeria was always there. In football, I think Italy is bigger than Nigeria but I never regretted my decision, and I will not.

But you have managed just one cap for Nigeria. Do you regret your decision?
I don’t regret my decision. I have never given up; I know will still get my chance soon. I just need to keep doing well. The best place to tell your coach you are good is on the pitch. Maybe my best is not good enough yet, so I will keep on working hard. I hope to be in the team again but that still depends on the coach. I think the coach knows my ability.

What was the experience like during your first time with the team?
It was a nice experience; the coach (Stephen Keshi) was happy to see me and he told me he has watched videos of my games and would be happy to see me using my wealth of experience well in the team. I was so happy when he told me that because it showed that I was wanted in the team. I also have a great relationship with my teammates like Joseph Yobo; he received me well and gave me words of encouragement. The camp was like one family and I realised why players always want to be part of the team. It was a thrilling experience.

Did you feel pained after being left out of the victorious 2013 Africa Cup of Nations side?
Somehow, I felt bad. It’s not because I was left out, but because I wanted to win something with Nigeria (laughs). Going to the competition would have been another dream fulfilled but I still remain a Nigerian and hope to return to the team.  The Nations Cup was a tremendous achievement for Nigeria as a whole and the players wrote their names in gold. It’s really great seeing Nigeria move forward in football; right now, we are the undisputed giants of Africa and I am very proud of the team’s achievements. So many players, not just me alone, wanted to be on the plane to South Africa but I think the coach chose the best players at the time. However, that does not mean that the players left out are not good. They were encouraged to wait for their time. On my part, I am waiting for my own time and I am really working hard to get the attention of the coaching crew.

Have you be in touch with the coaching crew?
I have been in touch with the coach because of what he did in the past. He called me about three times while I was injured. He called to ask me how I was feeling and when I would return back to action. He didn’t call me because I want to play but to encourage me and know how I was feeling. And I tell you, that is why players are loyal to him.

The Eagles have been drawn against Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran at next year’s World Cup in Brazil. What is your view about Nigeria’s group?
I think the group is 50-50 for Nigeria. It won’t be a surprise if Eagles top the group but Argentina are seen as the favourites in the group. We just need to prepare well, the World Cup is a big competition every player wants to play in. Nigeria will qualify from the group but only with hard work. We all know the qualities in the Argentine team, we also know few about the Iranians but not many people know Bosnia, and that will be a tricky and difficult game for Nigeria. To me, Argentina are not a threat but Bosnia and Iran are. We just need to pray for luck and total concentration from everybody going there. The World Cup is different from the Nations Cup. Players from all over the world will compete in Brazil, the experienced players will tackle new players, underdogs will meet favourites and there will surely be shock defeats.

The Eagles showed the stuff they were made up of last month when they were held by Italy in a thrilling 2-2 draw in England. What is your assessment of the team ahead of the 2014 World Cup?
I watched the match and I was thrilled with what I saw. From that game, I see the Eagles as a potential force come 2014. If you will agree with me, I will say Keshi has turned the Eagles to world beaters. Italy played against a young and very good side. But still, the Eagles can do better than what they have done so far. The players understand Keshi so much. I think the Eagles could have defeated Italy but they showed too much respect for the Azurris. However, these Eagles can compete against top teams next year in Brazil.

As a defender, how would you rate the team’s defence?
Those guys are a bunch of hard working fellows. That is the best way to describe them ; they are very good. It’s not easy stopping the likes of Mario Balotelli, (Daniele) De Rossi and others. But the Nigerian defenders did wonderful job that night. Of course they were jittery initially, but the guy from the local league (Azubuike Egwuekwe) showed lots of promise against Balotelli and then kudos to Godfrey (Oboabona). These are players whom Keshi has turned to assets. The defence is really doing well and with the return of Yobo, I believe it will be even stronger. And if I also get another chance, I will do everything possible to contribute my quota in building the team’s defence line.

You have received rave reviews in the Polish media over your fantastic form this season. What has been the secret?
I would say the secret is determination. I am happy with my form and I am happy that my coach believes in me. The fans and my teammates have been also helpful towards my fine performances this season. So far so good, it has been a great season. I believe this is the best age to show what I have learnt over the years. I am really happy for the rave reviews and I intend to work harder.

You scored the equaliser for Jagiellonia Bialystok in the recent 1-1 draw with Pogoń Szczecin and you were also named Man of The Match. How do you feel?
It’s always special for me to score goals and win individual awards. I have won the awards several times this season and it spurs me on to do more for the team. Honestly, that is why I always move forward to help the strikers.

Jagiellonia are currently in eighth position in the Polish Ekstraklasa (topflight). Do you think the club can still climber higher on the table?
Of course, we are really doing well right now; we defeated Widzew 1-0 in our last game and hopefully, we will keep doing well so that we can move up the table. We have good players in the team who are really doing well for the team.

Nigerian players Emmanuel Emenike and Victor Moses have been nominated for the 2013 African Footballer of The Year along with Ivoirian, Yaya Toure. Do you see a Nigerian winning the award 14 years after Nwankwo Kanu won it?
 Personally, I think all the Nigerian players nominated for the award stand a chance of winning it. Emenike is the best striker in Africa for now; he won the Nations Cup and he was the highest goal scorer. He scored two great goals that virtually gave the 2014 World Cup ticket to Nigeria (Nigeria versus Ethiopia in Addis Ababa) I think he deserves to win it. Also, Mikel is another candidate for the award with his performances for the Eagles and Chelsea. He led with with example as Nigeria won the 2013 AFCON and he also helped Chelsea win the Europa League. Moses also had a fantastic year as well, so I think the award should go to a Nigerian player.

Do you see Emenike making an impact at next year’s World Cup?
He (Emenike) is a player that has shown that he can always rise to the big occassions; he’s in the class of Balotelli and co. So, I believe he will deliver at the World Cup.
The year ended on high for Nigerian football as the Golden Eaglets won the U-17 World Cup for a record fourth time. What does this mean for Nigerian football? 

In 1993, Kanu, (Wilson) Oruma and co won the U-17 World Cup in Japan and the following year, we won the Nations Cup and participated in the World Cup for the first time ever.  To me, this is another era of success for Nigeria football and I must commend the Nigeria Football Federation for a good job. They have really done well for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment