Sunday 15 December 2013

My relationship with Maje Ayida over — Toke Makinwa



Toke Makinwa
Background
My name is Toke Makinwa and I turned 29 last month. I am from Idanre, Ondo State and I come from a very large family. I studied English Literature at the University of Lagos. I am just a girl next door, unpredictable, a lover of life and I am very passionate about God.


Being an On Air Personality
Growing up, my voice was not nice. I thought I sounded husky and I remember breaking up with a guy who said I sounded like a man. I was 18 going on 19 and waiting to get into the university when a friend informed me that Cool FM had opened. I went in for auditions and I was being paid N25,000 per month in 1999. I did not tell anyone at home. One day, my mother heard my voice on radio and she stopped me. I was not even allowed to go back to put in my resignation letter! After I graduated, I was stuck. Do I go for youth service? Get a job or relocate to England? I wanted to break away from my parents. I went to the UK, didn’t get a job and I returned to Nigeria. Then, I got a job at a bank because I had given up on entertainment. My siblings, who knew I was not happy, working at the bank, told me about Silverbird recruitment. I applied and got the job.

Life on radio
Radio is much harder than television. A pretty girl or a handsome guy can sell any show on television. People don’t necessarily have to listen to what you have to say. Instead, they can like your hairstyle, colour of your shirt or even your shoes. With radio, it is a hit or miss. You are not even permitted to have a bad day regardless of what is going on in your life. Even if you were jilted at the altar the day before, you turn on the microphone and have your show.

My V-log series
There is this friend I met on twitter who took an interest in my brand .We got talking and he sent me a message asking if I had ever heard about Christina Marble. I found out she is the most searched person after Kim Kardashian. She is famous for having a blog on YouTube and what she does is talk about just about everything. So, I thought I should give a platform where we can talk about things like marriage, men, women, relationships and so much more. The reception has been amazing.

People don’t hate me
I don’t think anyone hates me; it’s such a strong word to use. I think its people not knowing and understanding who I am. Social media is free and people can say anything. It’s not really hate; it’s like a silent envy you can’t really explain.

Role models
The late Nelson Mandela was a huge influence in my life. From him, I learnt forgiveness. Oprah Winfrey has also been a huge influence in my life. My work ethics also comes from my mother because she is a fighter as well.

I get paid to attend parties
I enjoy going out and there are some appearances that I would be paid for if my brand aligns with what they are pushing for. I have people who come to me saying they want me to appear at their weddings or birthdays and ask how much I would bill them. It’s not every event that I get paid to attend. It’s called an appearance fee.

Relationship
I am not under any pressure to get married. It’s the society that puts pressure on women not minding that divorce rates are high. I was once in a long term relationship with Maje Ayida and it has come to an end. I think it’s unfair for me to speak about our relationship because he is not here to defend himself. He is an amazing guy but it was not meant to be. It’s strange being single again but I am taking it one step after the other. One of the mistakes I made in my last relationship is that we dated for a long time. They were amazing years but they were also 12 long years. When you are faithful to someone, know what you can tolerate. My Mr Right has to be God-fearing, who would not do certain things because he is God-fearing. He has to understand what I do and must not be selfish in any way.

Style
It has to be comfortable, sexy and chic. Clothes go out of season and you always feel the need to acquire new styles. I don’t have great legs and I try not to wear shorts. I also love shoes and scarves which I splurge on from time to time.
Future
I hope to have my own talk show before I am 30. I am running out of time but its work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment