Monday 2 December 2013

Omeruo dreams of World Cup


Football | Super Eagles




 
When the World Cup kicks off in Brazil next year, Nigeria might parade a youngster who few years ago was playing barefooted in the dusty streets of Abuja, Nigeria. 
Kenneth Omeruo has come up in leaps and bounds over the past four years, as his meteoric rise has seen him become a mainstay in Nigeria's defence as well as playing for one of the biggest clubs in the World.

Omeruo, who was in the heart of the Super Eagles defence as they secured a fifth World Cup qualification by defeating Ehtiopia 4-1 on aggregate says he can't wait to play at Brazil 2014.
"I dream of playing in the World Cup," Omeruo told The Telegraph.

"Playing in the Confederations Cup gave us the desire that we had to be at the World Cup. I'm really looking forward to the draw. If we get England, we have to prepare our minds right.
"It was great when we qualified. Everyone was so happy. It was like we just won the Nations Cup.
"Everyone was on the streets. We couldn't fail the fans. We had to qualify for them.

Omeruo also praised head coach Stephen Keshi whom he said kept constantly in touch when he was injured at the Confederations Cup and who recalled him when he became fully fit again.

"When I was injured at the Confederations Cup, I got messages and tweets from fans saying how much they missed me. The coach ( Stephen Keshi) called me to ask how I was doing and assured me I was still part of his team.

"I was really eager to come back and play," he added.
The centre-back won his first cap in a friendly against Cape Verde prior to January's Africa Cup of Nations triumph, and has gradually established himself alongside Godfrey Oboabona as the preferred pairing in the heart of the Super Eagles defence.

He hasn't yet broken into the Chelsea first-team, but the former Standard Liege stand-out has revealed that Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho rates him highly.

"The way he talks about me and says 'Kenneth, my friend,' gave me the impression that he actually likes me," Omeruo told The Telegraph.

"After the Nations Cup when he came in, Mikel told me that Jose asked after me. So I was happy that he recognises me.
"In Nigeria everyone says 'he is the Special One! The Special One' coming close you would know why he's special.

"The players respect him. He knows how to handle players, how he talks to us. The training is the best. It was difficult before, but I'm used to it now.
Omeruo, 20, has played 14 matches for Nigeria since making his debut against Cape Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment