Saturday 21 December 2013

Christmas or not, the show must go on for celebrities

 
celeb
Along with the yuletide comes fun, probably the most amazing fun a person did not have the luxury of having during the year. The season is so synonymous with with fun that most institutions close shop till the New Year. Apart from it being a season to kick back and relax, most people also make it a season to catch up on old times with friends and families. Most times, people use the opportunity to travel to their villages to see their aged loved ones. The period is probably the only time of the year some people have the luxury to embark on such journeys.
However, while most Nigerians are enjoying the festive season, it is work as usual for their favourite celebrities. As the saying goes in the showbiz world, ‘the show must go on’.
While speaking with Saturday Beats, some celebrities shared their plans for the season, with most of them scheduled to work on Christmas Day.
In a telephone conversation, controversial television presenter with Channel O, Denrele Edun, surprisingly asked Saturday Beats about Christmas as if it was a strange word. Edun said he would be working on that day.

“Is there any Christmas?” he asked.
He further said that even though, he had been to over six countries in the past few weeks, there had been no time to go shopping due to his busy schedule.
“I am working all through. I have been travelling everywhere and I have been to at least six countries in the past few weeks. I travelled with my sister and I gave her a lot of money to go shopping but I have not got anything for myself,” He said.
Edun’s situation is similar to that of Tuface, another Nigerian famous celebrity. His publicist told Saturday Beats that the musical legend would be working all through Christmas, adding that his wife, Annie, would be doing the shopping for their kids.

“December is a very busy period for any serious artiste,” the publicist said.
However, he stated that Tuface would definitely find time to spend with his family intermittently.
When Saturday Beats contacted Ara, a female talking drummer, she said yuletide comes with a lot of work.
“It is a very busy period so I am going to be performing mostly at events,” she added.

But in spite of her busy schedule, Ara said she would always find time for her son.
“I will definitely take my son out and spend quality time with him. I always give to the needy, that is part of my life,” Ara said.
Other celebrities like singer, Terry G, and actress, Amanda Ebeye, also said their Christmas day would be busy.
Ebeye said she would make it up to her family by celebrating the New Year with them in Canada and that the trip would afford her the opportunity to shop too.

Just to keep the holiday spirit alive at home so that they do not make fans happy at the expense of their family members, some entertainers have found a way to kill two birds with one stone.
Organiser of the popular comedy shows Stand-up Nigeria, Bunmi Davies, thanked his family for their support and for understanding that festive seasons mean more work for him, which could sometimes keep him away from home.

Although his show is a family show aimed at giving viewers a merry laugh, Davies explained that he has to work extra hours to make the show great and sustain its standard.
“To me, these seasons are periods for more work. I will be at the Muson centre from 10am on Christmas Day to set up for Stand up Nigeria holding the next day. If I have to spend the night there, I will. Family time starts after Boxing Day. My daughter and wife are used to that and I thank them for being supportive,” Davies said.
For rave of the moment, Burna Boy, he feels lucky to be a part of Julius Agwu’s ‘crack ya ribs’ holding in Port Harcourt. He said he would rush home to spend time with his family before the show starts.
“Hopefully I would spend Christmas at home with my family. I have a show at Port Harcourt on that day. I would be home eating homemade food cooked by my mother. I would also open Christmas gift with my family,” he said.

When asked if he has had time to go for Christmas shopping, the dark-skinned singer said he hadn’t had the time. He also added that he did his shopping mainly abroad.
However, due to the busy nature of their year, entertainers like Desmond Elliot, Sikiratu Sindodo, Iyabo Ojo, Funmi Fiberesima, Evaezi, Foluke Daramola, Mercy Aihgbe and Dr. Sid said they made conscious efforts to keep the Christmas season free for family and loved ones.
Dr. Sid who lost his father, the legendary Justus Esiri, earlier in the year said that normally, he is on holidays during Christmas and New Year’s Day. Same with Desmond Elliot who chose to spend time with his family over work.
For Nollywood actress, Funmi Fiberesima, this Christmas would be a time for sober reflection. The actress said that she had turned down various events just to have an introspective Christmas.
 “I am having a very lazy Christmas. I plan on lounging, watching movies, and going to the gym. It is going to be an introspective Christmas for me. I need to position myself properly for where my company and brand would be next year. though I have been invited for some events, I have turned them down just to be a hermit this Christmas. It is me and my God alone time,” she said.

Tayo Odueke, popularly known as Sikiratu Sindodo, said she was contemplating whether to spend the Christmas in the country or abroad with her sister, who is in the UK.
Iyabo Ojo told Saturday Beats that the season would be dedicated to her children.
The actress, who celebrates her birthday on December 21 each year, further said that they were all meant to fly abroad for the holidays but had to cancel at the last minute for something very important.

“I am spending this festive season with my family and kids. I am taking them to so many fun places they desire. I am on break to give them all the time and attention they need. I was supposed to take them out of the country but had to cancel for something very important. I have started shopping for them already. So to make up for not travelling,  I will take them to any fun place they desire,” Ojo said.

No comments:

Post a Comment